Dec 18, 2023

Swedish Meatballs

https://ift.tt/UG5aimy

This traditional Swedish meatballs recipe is bursting with rich, savory flavors and topped with a creamy gravy. Always so comforting served over mashed potatoes or noodles!

Who’s ready for a big bowl of Swedish meatballs served over buttery mashed potatoes with a generous ladle of creamy gravy on top? ♡

I don’t know about you, but this traditional Swedish favorite is always one of my favorite comfort foods this time of year. I actually had the good fortune of being able to visit Stockholm a few times while we were living in Europe, and always loved sampling the various takes on traditional meatballs and gravy around town (in between eating a million kannebular!). My favorite meatballs were always those that were more generously-seasoned with spices such as nutmeg and ginger and allspice, those that were perfectly browned, and of course, served up with creamy potatoes and gravy and a spoonful of lingonberry sauce on the side. The savory, creamy, sweet combination is just impossible to beat!

So this winter, I’ve been working on fine-tuning my own favorite Swedish meatball recipe to make here at home. I’ve aimed for it to be as traditional as possible (although from what I’ve read, there are a number of different ways that this classic is actually prepared in Sweden, so please take my interpretation with a grain of salt!). The meatball recipe is a riff on my classic, but browned on the stovetop with some different seasonings mixed in and then topped with a classic creamy gravy. I highly recommend whipping up a batch of my favorite mashed potatoes to serve here, or you can opt for wide egg noodles instead. And if lingonberry sauce isn’t available where you are (we admittedly pick up ours from IKEA), a dollop of cranberry sauce on each plate is a delicious substitute too.

Let’s make some Swedish meatballs!

(more…)

0 comments:

Post a Comment